Friday, May 14, 2010

Move It!

I'm headed up to Boston for my brother's college graduation today. Can't believe my baby brother is a college grad already! I digress. I have posts written for this week so I should still be continue to participate in Diabetes Blog Week. The only issue will be internet connection.












Friday 5/14 - Let's get moving. Exercise . . . love it or hate it? Do you have a regular exercise routine? Or do you have trouble finding your exercise motivation? How do you manage your insulin and food to avoid bottoming out during your workout? Today is the day to tell us all about your exercise habits, or lack thereof.


I have a love hate relationship with exercise.  I guess most of us do, huh? When I exercise I have great numbers. Love that. But I have some issues with exercise:

Motivation
You would think that having great numbers would be motivation enough for me but meh it isn't. I know that I need to exercise but most days I just can't force myself out there. Bottom line: laziness.

Fear
Weird, right?  But I have a fear of how to handle my diabetes. After nearly 22 years of diabetes I should know but I have always just dealt with the lows. Other times I was running high so the exercise just brought me back down to good numbers. I'll psych myself up to go exercise after I wake up in the morning but then I'll test and my blood sugar is in the 90s or 80s and I'll put off exercise until I just don't go. All because I'm too freaked out to play around with my basal rates.  I so need to get over this stupid fear.

Pain
Diabetes isn't my only invisible disease; I also have fibromyalgia. The fibro makes workouts difficult sometimes. I can go on a 20 minute walk one day and the next time I go on the same 20 minute walk I will end up with a flare up and be in horrible pain. Until a few years ago exercise equaled pain for me. Every. Single. Time. Then I started going to pilates classes. For the first time I felt good after exercising.  Now that I'm unemployed paying for pilates classes has become harder. I also enjoy yoga and need to get back into it.

Aside from the pain my issues are totally mental. I want, ok need, to loose weight. Exercise is going to help with that. I'm really determined to get moving again.

Do you have any advice or suggestions for me? How do you handle your diabetes with exercise? What keeps you motivated and going to the gym?

1 comment:

  1. Adriana,

    I'm sure you've seen you are not the only one who feels this way and has these struggles. Courtney from Ride to Remedy set a reward system for herself. It wasn't for exercise but to check her sugar more regularly. She set a small goal with a small reward and a bigger goal with a bigger reward. Could that approach also apply to exercise?

    ReplyDelete