Friday, July 9, 2010

Foodie Friday: Farmer's Market Edition

I talk a lot about diabetes on this blog, hence the name, but today I am going to talk about another part of my life: cooking. Cooking is a passion of mine. Nothing comforts and excites me more than being in the kitchen letting my creative juices flow into a magnificent meal. The thing about my cooking is that I don't measure, at least most of the time.  I want to start a new series on my blog: Foodie Friday.  It is a way for me to share my passion with you all!

Cooking is a big part of my family. Both of my grandmothers were amazing cooks as is my mom. In fact my mom started a cooking blog Cocina Eclectica where she shares her love of cooking and some family favorite recipes. Please give her some blog love!


I've talked before about how much Steve and I love going to the Farmer's Market. It provides such a great inspiration for my cooking! On Thursday there is a Farmer's Market right outside of Steve's office so he stops by on his way home to pick up some fresh veggies. One of the stands at the market sells these amazing crab cakes that are made fresh. When Steve comes home I never know what exactly he has bought. It always makes for a fun surprise! I love putting everything together into a delish salad.


This salad included the following:
  • Fresh Rasberries
  • Lettuce
  • Green Beans
  • Tomato
  • Goat Cheese
  • Cucumbers
  • Crab Cake
All of the ingredients, except for the Goat Cheese, is from the farmers market.

To make the salad dressing I never measure. I know but I've made it so many times that it is second nature to me. One of my favorite ways to do it is by using an almost empty jar of Dijon Mustard.  Make sure there is at least a good spoonful in the jar. I put in some olive oil. Try filling the jar up about half an inch to an inch. Next I add some vinegar.  I use Rice Vinegar or white balsamic. It should be half of the amount of oil. Then I add a pinch of salt and pepper and a splash of water. Close the jar and sh-sh-shake it! Taste it and add any ingredients you think it needs.

For the salad I wash everything really well. Then I chop up the lettuce until it is all bite sized. Next I chop the tomato, cucumbers and green beans into little bite size pieces as well. I throw it all into a bowl and pour some salad dressing (amount at your discretion) in the bowl. Mix the salad really well. Plate the salad and top with goat cheese and raspberries.

To make the crab cakes I first preheat the over to 350 degrees and put the two crab cakes (one for each of us) in to cook for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes I flip the cakes and let them cook for another 10 minutes. Then I place them on top of the salad and sit down and chow down!

This is my favorite summer salad! What is your favorite salad?

Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this recipe, this salad is delicious! I modified it a bit so maybe yours was even tastier. I couldn't get crab cake so I ate my salad with baked diabetic friendly low carb pita bread from Josephs Bakery (I recommend it to everyone who are concerned about the amount of carbs they eat, especially diabetics). I love it and definitely repeat it often!

    ReplyDelete