Monday, September 13, 2010

Back to School?!?!

Today I went back to school. No, not grad school and it is only for 2 weeks. Still, I'm back in a classroom for the first time in over 6 years.

Today I started the 60 classroom hours required to get your Virginia Real Estate License. With this whole "unemployment thing" I've spent a lot of time thinking about what it is I want to do with my life. For years I've thought about getting my real estate license but just never committed. When Steve and I bought our condo a year and a half ago my interest was really piqued. Apparently the stars aligned because the timing was perfect.

So this morning I gathered everything I would need into my bag: meter, test strips, finger pricker, back up strips, glucose tabs & jelly beans, extra insulin, syringe, back up infusion set, oh and a notebook and pen.

Last time I was packing up for school was over 6 years ago when I was in college. I had spent my entire "diabetic life" packing up d-supplies plus school supplies. All this time now with out practice made me nervous. I felt like I should pack as if I were going on an overnight trip. Extreme? Yeah, I thought so too so I didn't go that far. I was only going to be 20 minutes away from home.

As I left this afternoon I realized I had failed to mention to the teacher that I have diabetes. She doesn't care if we eat or drink in the class room or if we need to get up and take a phone call or use the restroom. The only real reason to tell her would be in case I passed out. Should I tell her?

As far as the class goes I am enjoying it so far. There is a lot of information being thrown at me very quickly and in a very short amount of time.  I came home feeling excited and a bit overwhelmed. The good thing is I feel confident I can do this - at least that is what I keep telling myself.  The next two weeks are going to be intense but exciting. In about a month, as long as I pass of course, I will be a licensed real estate agent in the Commonwealth of Virginia! At that point I'll have to decide if I want to make it my new career.  I'm not thinking about that. For now I am going to hit the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment