Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good Bye May

Under normal circumstances I love May. Growing up in southern California May always had great weather, right before June Gloom. May always meant summer was that much closer and school was ending. Of course how could I not love May when it is my birthday month?! Since moving to the East Coast (even when I was in the midwest for college) May brought beautiful weather before the humidity set in. May and October are my favorite months of the year.

Not this year. May has been difficult. At the beginning of the month I came down with what I thought was a cold. Turns out I had a sinus infection and bronchitis. Off I went to  see Dr. F, my primary care doc and she gave me a 10 day course of antibiotics and the ok to fly 10 days later to Boston for my brother's graduation.

When I got to Boston I was feeling 99% better except for the lingering cough. That weekend with my brother, parents, and Steve was a blast. After a visit to the Joslin my parents came down to DC and and were here for the rest of the week to celebrate my birthday. We had a great time and I was feeling alright, still had a lingering cough.

After I dropped my Dad off at the airport that Thursday (1 1/2 weeks ago) I quickly went down hill. My mom was still in town for meetings so I laid low in her hotel room. What was to be a girls weekend turned into me feeling crappy.

This past Wednesday I gave in and went to see Dr. F again. Immediately she sent me to have and xray done of my chest in case this had turned into pneumonia. Thankfully that was not the case. I still had bronchitis and sinusitis but this time added on strep throat and an ear infection. Dr. F thinks that the first course of antibiotics killed off enough of the bacteria so that I didn't have any symptoms but it didn't call off all the bacteria. She blamed the big D. DIABETES. Ugh. Diabetes makes fighting infections harder.

Back on the same antibiotics (not sure how I feel about this but anyway) but instead of 10 days I have to take it now for 14 days. That means 24 days on antibiotics with 10 days off in between. All this antibiotics led to me getting thrush. If you don't know what it is google it. Eww. Luckily I caught it before it took over my entire mouth and went to Urgent Care yesterday to get some anti-fungal medications. Last night I could hardly swallow even just my saliva and I got low twice. I said F* that and lowered my basal rate 30% overnight and stayed between 110 and 120 mg/dL.

This morning I'm better but not there yet. Through all of this dealing with diabetes has been challenging. Paying extra close attention and being extra vigilant has helped but diabetes and illness are not friends and don't get along well. The 30 day average on my meter is higher then I would like but I'm cutting myself some slack. In the past I would get upset with myself and throw my arms up in defeat. Not now. Now I am just trying to keep my mood up because this whole ordeal has been taxing.

That is why I am looking forward to June. A fresh start. Yes, I'm still sick but getting a little better every day. I'm looking forward to a healthy June. I'm looking forward to spending less time indoors (as much as I love my condo I'm getting sick of being inside!) Most of all I'm looking forward to spending time with Steve when I'm not coughing all over him.

What is your favorite month? What are you looking forward to in June?

1 comment:

  1. I hope you feel better soon, Adriana. You tell big D who's in charge!

    My favorite month is (usually) September. The weather is nice. The heat has broken. The leaves are starting to turn. And my birthday has almost arrived.

    This June, my wife and I are going to Australia for a month. We leave in a few days!

    ReplyDelete