Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Six things you NEED to know about Diabetes

Today is the 6th annual D-Blog Day. The topic for today is 6 Things You Want People To Know About Diabetes.

Well, there are a lot of things I would like people to know about this disease I've lived with for the last 22 years.  So here are the first 6 that pop into my head.

  1. Just because I am on insulin does not mean I have severe diabetes! I've never understood this. Insulin keeps me alive. This does not mean my diabetes is worse then what your grandmother has and only worries about diet and exercise. It means I have a different type of diabetes!
  2. All types of diabetes are not alike! I have type 1 diabetes, formally known as juvenile diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is not controlled by diet and exercise alone. I did not eat too much candy and give it to myself. I also do not have the type of diabetes you get when you are pregnant. Nor do I have diabetes because I am overweight.
  3. Yes, I can have my cake and eat it too! Please do not tell me what I can and cannot eat. I can enjoy that cupcake just like you can except I have to do some planning and carefully watch my blood sugar after eating it. But, I can eat it. 
  4. Just because I have diabetes does not mean I need everything sugar free! With sugar free candy/food I still need to give myself insulin because it is made with sugar alcohols. In fact sugar free foods especially candy make me sick to my stomach. I still eat sugar free jello/pudding and drink diet coke but not 100% because I have diabetes. 
  5. If you had diabetes would would LEARN to give yourself shots! I hate, hate, hate when people tell me I'm so brave because if they had diabetes they would NEVER be able to give themselves a shot. Guess what, when your life is on the line you do what you gotta do! It isn't like I enjoy being a human pin cushion!
  6. There is so much more to me then diabetes. Diabetes is a big part of my life but it isn't my entire life.  I'm very lucky to have parents who ingrained into me that diabetes would never hold me back and I have lived my life that way. I have never let diabetes define me. I am not my diabetes. 
Can I ask you guys to do me a favor? Please watch this video to help get a child much needed insulin. Pass this on to everyone you know! Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I hate that "I could never do shots" line, too. I'm 100% sure that anyone saying that to me would suddenly find the ability to do it if it meant keeping themselves or their child alive each day.

    Great list! Happy dblog day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing such a nice article about diabetes. There are good six things that we NEED to know about Diabetes. I only know that Diabetes patient must avoided all kinds of sugar, fats, simple carbs and concentrated calorie.


    excessive sweating

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know where your coming from. My grandma has them and she always said just because i have them don't mean i can't eat cake. She makes sure she takes her insulin. My boyfriend is the same but he is 14 and his are bad so i'm starting a fundraise to help save people with diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sugar is the main cause for diabetes but we hardly avoid sugar. I suggest you to avoid sugar and try natvia. Natvia is produced from a plant called stevia and it is sweeter than sugar. You will find only .6 calories in natvia which is much less than sugar.

    http://natvia.com

    ReplyDelete