Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Joys of The DOC: Not Alone

At many times diabetes can feel like a very isolating disease. From the moment of my diagnosis I have felt like diabetes was my disease and mine alone. Sure my family had to learn all about it and how to manage but in my 7 year old mind THEY didn't have it. It was MY body not theirs who revolted. How could it be their disease too?

Oh how wrong was I! The entire concept of Type 3's has completely changed my way of thinking. The DOC gave me a title to all those people who are affected by my diabetes. I can turn to my Mom or to Steve and see that they GET IT. Sure, they don't know what it feels like to have non-stop low's or highs, or those roller coaster days that leave you totally wiped out. That's what I have  you, the DOC, for. But for the most part they get it. When somebody makes some stupid comment about diabetes Steve shoots me a look that says "they are not one of us, they don't understand."

Not only has the DOC opened my eyes to just how well Steve and my mom get it the DOC has also made me feel like I'm not alone. I no longer feel so isolated. Sure in my offline life I am not constantly running into other T1's and if I do we don't spend the time chatting about the big D. I get online to find comfort that I can't find elsewhere.

At the Taking Control of Your Diabetes Conference this past Saturday I had the pleasure of meeting two members of the DOC: Ninja George from Ninjabetic and Jaime (@JaimieH). We didn't get to meet up until the very end of the conference but we were able to sit and chat for a little while. Let me just say that they are both such warm welcoming people. I really wish I had had more time to sit and talk with them. Neither of them realized it but our short seemingly unimportant conversation was the finally little push I needed to not only blog more but to make some blog changes I hope to make soon. (Details on that to come!). The entire day of the TCOYD conference was nudging me but talking to them was the finally little push I needed. So thank you guys.  Both of you are total Ninja's Kickin D Booty! (Yes, I will do a recap/thoughts post on the conference soon.)

I'm a fairly new member of the DOC. Less than a year. In that time though my A1c plummeted from 10.2 to 7.2 (and still working to get it in the 6's. The psychological toll diabetes was taking on me is so much easier to deal with then it was before. Most importantly I no longer feel alone. I wish I could go back 22 years and tell 7 year old me that I am not alone. 

Thank you DOC, from the bottom of my heart.

1 comment:

  1. It was so great to meet you in person! Now we can keep in touch more through the web. I did not realize until after we split that we did not get a picture together...darn it!...

    Congrats on the A1c! awesome!

    ...and I bought my domain!...trying to push myself to get going with it =)

    You and Steve give each other a hug from me..xo

    ReplyDelete